Mission & METL
3D Sustainment Command (Expeditionary)'s Mission Statement
Provide a deployable, expeditionary command and control capability for echelons above brigade logistics units. Provide theater logistics C2 for the theater commander supporting the Army Forces (ARFOR) or Combined Joint Task Force (CJTF) mission.
3D Sustainment Command (Expeditionary)ís Mission Essential Task List (METL)
- Provide trained and Ready ESC
- Exercise C2
- Conduct Deployment/Redeployment Operations
- Plan, Synchronize and Execute CSS Operations
- Protect the Force
3D Sustainment Command (Expeditionary)ís Mission
The 3D Sustainment Command (Expeditionary) provides theater logistics C2 for the theater commander supporting the Army Forces (ARFOR) or Combined Joint Task Force (CJTF) mission. We enable the force to support high levels of combat over the duration of major operations. Our battlefield support facilitates the force commanderís ability to generate combat power at the decisive time and place. Our support falls under the following general categories
Sustaining the Soldier
No matter how much fuel and munitions 3D Sustainment Command (Expeditionary) units push to the front each day or how awesome and lethal weapon systems become, it is our Soldiers who fight battles.
- Soldiers need rations, water, clothing, individual equipment, protective gear and shelter. Construction, barrier, and fortification materials enhance Soldier survivability and provide protection against enemy advances and enemy fires.
- The health, morale, welfare, and combat capability of our Soldiers are also affected by the provision of health and comfort items, field services, and health services. How well our Soldiers are cared for influences their will to continue fighting.
- 3D Sustainment Command (Expeditionary) plans and coordinates secondary field services, such as bath, laundry, and textile renovation. Typically, these services are provided by the Host Nation assets or through local contractors. However, the situation may require that all or some of these services are provided by U.S. forces.
Arming the Force
No conflict lasts long without munitions to arm the weapons of war. The supported units can fight only as long as the 3D Sustainment Command (Expeditionary) supplies them with munitions.
- The high firepower rate of modern weapons places unprecedented demands on our munitions distribution system to provide the right types and quantities of munitions at the decisive time and place. To ensure continuous, responsive distribution support, ammunition supply companies require the habitual support of transportation truck companies.
- The 3D Sustainment Command (Expeditionary) also arms assault forces with mines and explosive ordnance to breach enemy obstacles. It arms defensive forces with mines and explosives to help delay or stop the enemy along avenues of approach.
Fueling the Force
Supported units can move only as long as vehicles and aircraft receive fuel. While many factors affect daily fuel consumption, the 3D Sustainment Command (Expeditionary) may need to supply several hundred thousand gallons of fuel per day in support of a heavy division and its supporting units. In addition, non-division units may require almost 100,000-gallons each day. Our petroleum supply units and Direct Support supply units need to stock sufficient fuel throughout dispersed fuel issue points. To keep fuel from becoming a war stopper, the supporting transportation distribution system needs to provide rapid distribution of fuel.
Fixing the Force
3D Sustainment Command (Expeditionary)ís maintenance system is a combat multiplier. It ensures that supported units remain operationally ready by repairing and returning weapon systems and equipment to battle as soon as possible. Maintenance restores operational forces to a state of materiel readiness. It enables them to support the tempo of operations.
- 3D Sustainment Command (Expeditionary) maintenance units repair and return damaged or disabled equipment to using units. Whenever possible, they send Maintenance Support Teams forward into the division sector to perform on-site repair of damaged or inoperable equipment.
- The maintenance system is supplemented by a system which provides replacement items to offset battle loss of critical equipment. When weapon systems or other major end items are destroyed, the 3D Sustainment Command (Expeditionary)'s heavy materiel supply unit provides a battle loss replacement.
Moving the Force
Every requirement for troops or supplies generates at least one requirement for movement. The 3D Sustainment Command (Expeditionary) transportation system provides for the rapid movement of troops and supplies about the battlefield. It affords the combatant commander the capability to concentrate combat power at the critical time and place to influence the battle.